Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Great Backyard Bird Count


Today on our winter walk we spied flocks of swoony cedar waxwings in a neighbor's tree. I only had my phone camera, so the photo didn't turn out well.

I dashed outside a little later schlepping the camera with a mammoth lens that embarrasses my children (to my delight). 

Of course, I didn't catch sight of the cedar waxwings, but was rewarded with this smoochie (Barred?) owl. 

Just because I was looking up.


Are you participating in the GBBC - Great Backyard Bird Count? It starts in mid-February. This is a fabulous family activity and best of all, you are helping your nesty neighbors. Your local library has everything you need to brush up on the birds living in your area, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll start to recognize different species. 

I don't know about you, but I've been a complete fail at teaching the kids (and myself) about the constellations, but birding has been easy peasy and borders on obsessively addicting. How obsessive you ask? I made my hubby carry around this book on our vacation.

This is one of our favorite library books. We check it out again. And again. And again. It comes with a CD so you can listen to the bird songs as you're going to sleep. {At least that is how we use the CD.}

Hope you have a fabulous weekend full of friends, and family, and birding, and borrowed beauty from your library.

Any tips, books, movies, etc. to help with learning about constellations in a fun way?

xoxo Michele

Why buy happiness when your library shares it. Free music downloads through Freegal E-books, audio-books, and digital downloads are at your local library, just visit here or your local library website for complete information.  

No comments: