Thursday, July 5, 2012

Needles and Pins And Summer Projects

Needles and pins,
Needles and pins,
Sew me a sail
To catch me the wind...
                                                                             ~ Shel Silverstein 

How was your 4th of July? We went to a friend's house for dinner this year, and instead of our normal routine of going to see a big fireworks show near Lake Norman, we watched the children put on a pyrotechnic display for us parents. Okay, perhaps I freaked out once or twice as my son's friend was using a blowtorch to light the fountains and sparklers, but as his father remarked, "He has strong self-preservation skills." So, no worries, grandparents; the evening was magical. 

Arielle has a serious crush on sewing. We've tried a few books, but keep coming back to our favorite from the library. Most of the projects can be done in one day, and she feels confident doing the cutting, pinning, and sewing on her own. 


If you're a scared-to-lose-a-finger beginner (like me), I highly recommend finding videos on YouTube for your specific sewing machine. We found videos that showed us how to thread the needle (and learned that we have a built-in needle threader), wind the bobbin, tension settings, etc. Just type in your model number and poof! A personal sewing assistant.


Our favorite book: One Yard Wonders. You can find this perfect project book for the summer at your local library. And we just put their newest book on hold. If I make a baby blankets, do you think Carl will worry?


Since Arielle's sewing crush is heading towards a permanent commitment,  we are in the middle of a room revamp to make crafting easier for her while allowing me to keep my sanity. Who knew sewing would cause the entire room to be covered in thread confetti? In the midst of moving furniture (which I never do), Nick walked in and panicked. Are we moving? No, just making the dining room a multi-purpose room, since we don't use it for dining. The best part was I ended up with a writing nook (which is also in process). Big reveals coming soon...  


Has the library inspired a summer project for your family? Please share. 

xoxo Michele

3 comments:

Natalie T. said...

Yay for sewing! I love that one yard wonder book. My machine is upstairs now and I miss it being amidst our living space. It worked well that way. Have fun in your new inspiring work spaces!

I am LOVD said...

Yes! We are reading a book called SeedFolks, set in Cleveland. As inspiration, we took last weekend to trace back the beginnings of Cleveland with first founder, Moses Cleveland. Then we learned after he founded it, he left. And with all the plague and bugs, there was one person who stayed to settle the area while others were fleeing: Lorenzo Carter! So, we found his log cabin (historic site) by the river, and his final resting place at Erie Street Cemetery. Then we topped it off by eating some ice cream at Sweet Moses. Could have been Sweet Lorenzo (he deserves the credit for staying)!

Michele said...

Cheers, Natalie. You have inspired us with your crafty beauty.

Wow, Lilly! I will be looking for that book later today at the library. And your photos of Sweet Moses makes me wish we lived nearby.

xomichele