Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Take Notes....Everything Is Copy.


Nora's mom was a wise woman. She taught her daughter to recognize daily blunders, irritations, the pain of life's thorny side, and turn personal embarrassments into treasured comedic gifts for all of us. I'm doing my best to impart this desirable discernment to my children. Like for instance, last Sunday we spent a glorious day at Carowinds, and it was my parental duty to ride big scary roller coasters with Arielle. The seats on the Intimidator are ideally made for people with a body size like sweetie Edie, but I'm channeling the adorable Jen Lancaster, are you with me so far? So for what felt like an eternity I vacillated between the ever popular lunging to my death and compressing my solar plexus into a sideways "V". The rest of the day was dialed into feeling both woozy (for those of you that experienced the full effects of morning sickness, you've got the picture) and thankful to be alive. But I kept on riding the roller coasters.


Most of us know her movie hits, When Harry Met Sally and You've Got Mail, but these four are my cherished Nora Ephron contributions. You can find her entire body of work at your local library. Have a favorite you'd like to share? Please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you, Nora, for encouraging us to laugh at life's roller coaster moments, and to keep on riding the big ones.

Nora Ephron.  May 19, 1941 – June 26, 2012

No comments: