Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Listening Library


Our lengthening Carolina days have been saturated in an endless arc of golden honey; warm and sweet and sticky and soothing. {Just kidding on the soothing part - smothering is more like it.} But as the curtain closes on the pale blue and pink sunset, my scorched peeps are craving the raven-haired darkness of a country night. No lamps. No nightlights. What's a reading girl to do? 


The Listening Library. The children and I curl up in bed and push play on the CD player. We fold our eyes; as the ceiling fan softly breezes above, Jim Dale transports us to the country of James Herriot. Dreamy times infinity, sweet readers.


We've been forever fans of All Creatures Great and Small, and I was highly favored to find this book for fifty cents at a library sale, but having Jim Dale read the book to us is a thrilling treat. Yes, the Jim Dale of Harry Potter audio-book fame.


Those that know me well are shocked. Bed? Yes. By ten? Really. Eyes closed? I know! Can you believe it? {Except for last Thursday when I just had to stay up and watch The Avett Brothers on Conan. Those three hundred and twenty seconds were sooo swoony worth it.}


Don't worry. It's just for the summer. I'll be back to the I Like The Nightlife Baby this Fall.


Maybe my fingers are crossed behind my back. Have you discovered the eye-soothing, ear-candy of Audio CD's at your local listening library? Which are your favorite?

xoxo Michele

I'm still weak in the knees, Natalie. A thousand thank you's for introducing me to their brilliance.

3 comments:

Natalie T. said...

These are the times I really miss having TV. We have Netflix streaming. (not the same.) Dang! They are still on heavy rotation out here for sure! We need to try an audio book. I think we would probably love it. Happy long summer days!

I am LOVD said...

Do you have Playaway material at your library? It's the greatest invention ever!!!

http://library.playaway.com/

Michele said...

Natalie - they were the only good reason to watch Conan, unfortunately. Besides sports and documentaries, we rarely watch TV. I love Netflix, but you're right - it isn't the same. That is where youtube scores big.

Hi Lilly! Yes, they have playaway material, which has helped make travel time in the Suburban more peaceful on long trips. But I personally don't use them at home -- I'll be off on an listening adventure by myself and worried the entire time because I can't hear what is happening in my home. (I'm not much of a control freak or anything, am I?)... I prefer the Audio CD's because we intentionally have to quiet our body and rest together, snuggled up with our eyes closed. Bonding is clearly the sweet treat for me.

I do use them when Carl wants to sleep without hearing my storybook or when I work out - both of which are as rare as a blue moon.

xomichele