Tuesday, June 19, 2012

If Paletas Are Wrong I Don't Want To Be Right


Summer arrived this week in the form of a beaming nine year old daughter. Arielle knows I'm secretly freaking out about the Six Days (which is now four days) and rarely leaves my side. She challenges me daily to be my very best without knowing it, especially in the kitchen. We have been disappointed in the frozen treats available at the stores, so we found a book at the library with recipes that are simple, sweet and sublimely satisfying. Paletas (authentic Mexican Ice Pops) by Fany Gerson has shined upon our kitchen and ushered in a glorious summer of mother and daughter bonding.  


Using fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, honey, and a little bit of a real sugar we have stocked the freezer with heavenly goodness. And chocolate for Carl. Oh, and Tequila for me.


The recipes call for ingredients I have in my home, but I've never considered combining them in this flavorsome fashion. Tequila, sour cream and fresh cherries? This chick from Emmett, Idaho (home of the Cherry Festival) says yes and amen.  

Photos from the book Paletas by Fany Gerson

Arielle's favorite (and seemingly my hubby's - considering he ate three last night) is the Greek yogurt ice pops with fresh berries. My favorite was making memories with my daughter. Singing along to Tay-Tay and Lyle and Eddie and dancing with Dave while transforming the kitchen into a delicious mess of love beside Arielle makes me happy.  


Loving, learning - it is all part of what I call library living. Have you found a treasure at the library that inspired you to share new experiences with your children? I'd love to hear from you. 

xoxo Michele

1 comment:

eggthoughts said...

Wow, interesting! Might have to give these a try! They certainly look/sound yummy! :) ~Frances