Friday, May 18, 2012

Cry, The Beloved Country



Dear Nicholas,


As you approach the end of fifth grade, my heart is bursting with joy and excitement for your future. Your bottomless well of curiosity, your unquenchable thirst for truth, knowledge and discovery is a precious gift from God.  

It is truly a privilege to read to you almost every evening. The book we are sharing right now is beyond my vocabulary, my limited vision; and yet as we cuddle together I cherish the bonds of us and a newly discovered land built from words on a page. With each sentence spoken I see a framework expanding in you, but it doesn't resemble bricks or mortar. My beloved son, you are cultivating wings. 

xoxo Mommy



I'm completely giddy knowing this book was read to Paul Farmer by his mother when he was around Nick's age. You can find a helpful study guide for Cry, The Beloved Country, here


When we complete the book we plan to watch the movie. It is my goal, my purpose really, to deposit every treasure I find at the library into my children. Which could keep me busy for twenty more lifetimes and explains my OCB (Obsessive Compulsive Bookorder).

4 comments:

Brunella Supertramp said...

Grazie Michele. I remember movie...thank you for this post.

Beth said...

Oh, Michele. This one is truly a treasure. I didn't encounter it until I was 15. Your (and my) children are so lucky to have you as their OCB sage!

{darlene} @ fieldstonehill said...

once again, you inspire me!!!

Angela said...

I follow you on instagram and just checked out your blog and I have to say I LOVE IT! -adahlia018