Tuesday, May 29, 2012

American Pastoral

“Everybody else is working to change, persuade, tempt and control them. The best readers come to fiction to be free of all that noise.” ~ Philip Roth

We've been away on a camping trip that I never wanted to end ~ so while I'm traipsing the wilderness in my mind, finishing up our book club read for June (American Pastoral) and working on my Summer Reading For Boys post, please forgive my tardiness this week. I'll be back just as soon as I can get my brain out of the lake.


xoxo Michele

2 comments:

Lula said...

did you like it? I didn't. I didn't like how he makes every american look like the swedish guy. He puts everyone in the same mediocre bag and not all americans are like that

Michele said...

Hi Lula, thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I love hearing from you! Your insight is fantastic - I got caught up in the details of the glove factory and then the craziness of the 60's. I saw the book as a radical stance between what most view as the American ideal and those that opposed it. I'll admit I got confused through some of the passages - Merry seemed to represent the counterculture - but surely she can't be the representation of all of them - there were many peaceful protests. Do you think he was going for the greatest contrast possible - Swede was the ideal and Merry was the biggest contrast imaginable to that ideal. Thoughts? Love hearing from you! Book club is tomorrow, will be interesting discussion.

xoxo michele