Monday, March 5, 2012

Teaching Trees

If John had his way, we'd live in trees, delight in muddy socks, feast only on Frosted Flakes with strawberry milk, and have unlimited credit at the Lego store. But he came home today and declared: "Hurry up with dinner, I want to go to bed and read." 

Dearest Jennie, his teacher turned him on to King Arthur, and now there is no looking back. As soon as he fell asleep, I went to our local library website and researched every book I could find on those great Knights Of The Round Table. 

Something amazing happened as I scanned through the list of books. An author kept coming up, and although his name sounded familiar, I couldn't place him. I entered his name in the Library Search, and almost fell off my chair. This author is a giant ~ a Redwood if you will ~ of children's writers, and yet I had not carefully studied all of his branches. I don't want you to miss him.


If you haven't picked up Leonardo's Horse ~ one of Nick's all time favorites ~ find it at your library today. It is gift-worthy. Forging Freedom is simply one of the most heroic (and educational) stories we have read on the Holocaust (this Author's Note is not to be missed). 

I'm forever grateful for the variety of teachers in my children's lives: at school, at home, and at the library ~ and you, dear Beth. If you are imparting knowledge to youth - thank you for being a priceless teaching tree, lifting up those around you. May we always live among your branches.

xoxo Michele 

6 comments:

Brunella Supertramp said...

bellissimo post.
(off topic)
i See in my library this book: "A country diary of an Edwardian lady".
Edith Blackwell Holden.
I think that this book wants run into your home. :)
Brunella

I am LOVD said...

Ah, limitless credit at the LEGO store. I can relate...Leonardo's Horse will be waiting for me soon.

Jennie@gotmyreservations said...

Thanks for linking up. I hope that someday I will hear from a parent or student that I was inspired their love of reading or writing.

I immediately went to the library and got Details (from 03/04 post) and am devouring it. Hopefully I'll have time to revamp something in my house.

P.S. I read The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady -- you will like its mix of text and images. I also saw that there's a biography -- Edwardian Lady: The Story of Edith Holden, by Ina Taylor.

Michele said...

Brunella - I will be looking (or ordering a hold) on Edwardian Lady today at the library - thank you so much for the recommendation. I'm excited!

Lilly - I hope you and your son enjoy this book as much as Nick and I did. The paintings and words...dreamy.

Jennie - If they don't thank you in person, hope you know that what you are imparting is a priceless gift. Teachers should hear this more often.

All those rooms with books in DETAILS - how swoonie is that? It is on my bedtable, the last thing I read each night. I especially enjoy how she relates rooms with movies or books she has read.

Jill said...

Beautifully written. You have a way of making me want to drop everything this minute and dash to the library. I am going to add Leonardo's Horse and Forging Freedom to our to-read list right away. Thank you for the recommendations!

Michele said...

Thank you, Jill! I hope you enjoy those as much as we did. We just picked up Show Way from the library today - looking forward to reading it with my kids tomorrow night.

xoxo michele