Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wildwood


Crows. I see them daily, yet give them very little thought. Then our local children's librarian, Bev, recommended the book Wildwood as a read aloud with my 11 year old son and I've thought about little else since. Who knew crows could be so interesting? Intelligent?



This book has transported us on an unexpected and stunning journey of learning about birds. In the first chapter,  the main character keeps referring to The Sibley Guide to Birds - and guess what? Our library has these books. Well, technically we have them at our house right now. Amazing, I tell you. 


This great read was written by the singer and songwriter of the Decemberists and beautifully illustrated by his wife. It is 541 pages of unforgettable wonder.

While I am not interested in making this blog about book reviews, I am hoping to show how one book can lead to unexpected discoveries. This expedition wouldn't have been possible without our children's librarian - I don't think I would have found this book on my own - it wasn't even on my long list of future read alouds. And of course it enticed me pick up this cd of a band I adored back in my early twenties.

Please share - what have you picked up from the library lately that lead to accidental, glorious learning? 
xoxo Michele

4 comments:

Molly said...

we just picked up mr. popper's penguins from our home library and we're enjoying a quick, old fashioned read. i wouldn't be surprised to see some other penguin books (and crafts) popping up around our house. when we finish the book, we'll watch the movie and compare and contrast.

we read wildwood - it took us almost two months! i had to return it and check it out again. fantastic coming of age story. and the illustrations? be still my heart. i would live in them if i could.

Michele said...

Oh, Molly! We loved the book Mr. Popper's Penguins as a read aloud as well. My daughter checked out books on the 19 different species of penguins - and remembers all of them from a silly song sung to the tune of On Top Of Old Smokey - I blogged about it this past summer - the video is on this site somewhere - anyhoo...so much fun! We are LOVING this book Wildwood. I'm with you - the illustrations are nothing short of divine. So happy to hear from you.

xoxo Michele

Mrs. K said...

I've got this book on my stack of "pre-reads" to give my 8 & 10 year old. Would love to see what else is on your list of Read Alouds. We just finished "Nancy and Plum" and need to finish up the Little House series, we got to 4, I got busy/lazy and got one of the books on audio and now we need to finish it off.

Michele said...

Awesome, Mrs K! I highly recommend reading Wildwood with the Sibley Guide to Birds as a companion - I read while my son looks up the birds in the Sibley book - completely entertaining and educational as well.

We did the same thing with Gerald Durrell's "My Family And Other Animals" - Nick had a spelling dictionary and used it almost every other page as I read aloud. That book has so many cherished memories for us. We felt like we've visited Corfu, Greece.