Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Purpose


Rocket greets my husband with enviable enthusiasm every time. And even though he puts me to shame, I never tire of watching this nightly reunion. Or finding new books on man's best friend at the library to share with my family.




My purpose for this blog is to share the beauty of our public library system. The enthusiasm I have for reading (especially aloud with my children) is boundless. 

Have you found some fantastic dog books at the library? Please share.

xoxo Michele

4 comments:

Karen L R said...

If you have not yet discovered Stephen Huneck, you must. His website is filled with the bittersweet story of his life. His books are filled with dog love.

Miss Eagle said...

Australia has fallen in love with a movie called "Red Dog". It is about a dog in the Pilbara in the north west of West Australia who was owned by everybody. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dog_(Pilbara)

My daughter has given me a book about a similar dog which long predated Red. This dog lived in South Australia. It is called The Railway Dog: the true story of an Australian outback dog by Olwyn M Parker.

Another book, which starts with a dog but is a teen or young adult book, is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It is actually a book about a teenage boy who has Autism or Asperger's. It is an unusual book. Beautifully constructed and written.

Of course, there is the classic story of dog faithfulness, Greyfriars Bobby. http://www.greyfriarsbobby.co.uk/

Michele said...

Thank you, Karen - found Huneck today and picked up a few. Will be blogging about this author very soon - more swoonie love!!

Thank you, Miss Eagle! I found "Red Dog", "The Curious Incident..." and "Greyfriars Bobby" at our library - haven't read them and looking forward to all of these. Ah, so many great reads...so little time.

xoxo michele

sharyhover.com said...

I love Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz. Another new favorite (but not a new book) is You Are a Dog by Terry Bain.