Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Reindeer {And Family Dinner} Games

The weather outside might be frightfully spring-like here in North Carolina, but our kitchen has been transformed into Santa's bakery. We followed the Rudolph Noses recipe over at my friend Sheila's amazing blog, Eat2Gather, and have been handing out these sweet treats to teachers, friends and neighbors - even our local librarians. 

The green-nosed reindeer above was created by the precious 3-year-old that I watch during the week. You've heard of Rudolph, but are you familiar with Dudolph, Rudy's rockstar brother? Well now you're in the know.  

And when we aren't creating new reindeer, we are playing games and reading books from the library while enjoying meals prepared from this cookbook:

Written by Laurie David (Larry David's ex-wife), it is so much more than a cookbook. On page 166 you'll be greeted by my favorite chapter - Read Around The Table. The library has made this gaming gala possible for our family.

How has the library helped you creatively connect with your children around the table?

xoxo Michele

5 comments:

Sheila @E2gather said...

Awe you are such a Dear! Your Rudolphs Noses look perfect...so cute, and yummy!

Jennie@gotmyreservations said...

Ha ha -- did you also remember the movie allusion to reindeer games? Not a happy Christmas memory like your other ones. As always, I'm invigorated by your posts and photos. We always tried to have dinner with our children every night, even if it meant that someone didn't sign up for some activity. We also didn't participate in activities that conflicted with church on Sundays. It's important to keep your family together as much as possible and I applaud you for doing it in our increasingly unsupportive society.

I am LOVD said...

My library connecting around the kitchen table? Not so much, yet. But, with your recommendations, it's sure to spark soon!!!!

LeslieP said...

I just put a copy on hold at my local library. Thanks!

the cul-de-sac said...

The Family Dinner is a permanent fixture on my nightstand, as I read it often for inspiration. It's very hard to execute with really young children who have very early bedtimes and limited conversation ability (: but I believe strongly in the book's message.

Your reindeer treats are cute! Well done!