Thursday, November 3, 2011

Share The Love


Meeting new people that have an affinity for books and libraries (all media, really) is what makes blogging a haven for me. When they come across great reads and are kind enough to recommend them - oh, how I love that. It's a win-win for everyone.


My latest fave was recommended by Miss Eagle - and it was recommended to her by Maria Popova at Brain Pickings. The beauty of an art book with a fascinating biography braided into the design. I have a weakness for books that teach without taxing my brain ~ this jewel fits that passion perfectly.


Meet Pierre and Marie Curie:




You'll find this stunning read on the adult biography shelf at your local library. I promise you won't regret picking it up today - at less than 200 pages, you'll have it finished in a few days. And if you enjoy these types of books, you might just swoon over this book as well.

Do you have a book (or any media that can be found at the library) you'd like to share? Leave the title in the comments section and I will feature it in an upcoming post. Let's share the love of the library, one new bloggy friend at a time.

xoxo Michele

8 comments:

Pam said...

How perfect. I was about to send you an email with a book recommendation when I stopped to check your blog first. You know what they say about great minds. Anyway, I finished reading the children's (ages 9+) book Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick after sneaking it away from my daughter. Wow, an amazing book that weaves two separate stories together. One using words and the other only illustrations. Don't be put off with the length of this brick of a book at 600 pages -- over 400 are illustrations only.

Shelley. said...

my recent favorite is the book thief. i finished it two months ago and still think about it nearly every day.

Michele said...

Pam! So excited to find this great read at the library - the pages don't scare me. Sweet Natalie recommended Ahab's Wife earlier this year and it probably will go down as one of my top ten fave reads ever. And it was pushing 700+ pages.

Hi Shelly - I loved The Book Thief as well. My son and his 5th grade classmates will be going to Washington DC to see the Jewish Holocaust Museum next year and I'm debating reading that book to him. What do you think?

Isn't it amazing how some stories stay with you forever - even the fictionalized characters can seem real. Our fave family read aloud is The Wouldbegoods by E. Nesbit - when we finished reading that book for the xxxth time, Nick said "I hope I see Oswald in heaven." Those are great reads - right now he is finishing up the Peter Pan series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson - he wishes those characters were real as well.

xoxo michele

I am LOVD said...

Michele,
On behalf of my son, I'd like to direct you to his blog (link found on my post today, Nov. 3). He's calling November Studio Ghibli month and reviewing many of these movies. He's shocked most kids don't know about these animated movies, yet the director is a legend in his own time!! Stay tuned for the first review on Monday!!!! His current post introduces November: Studio Ghibli month!

Jadyn @ Dutch.British.Love said...

That looks like a beautiful and interesting book! I haven't visited my library in over a year - it used to be my favorite place. Thanks for making me think of that, I will have to go back for a visit!

Pam said...

I'm glad to hear your library has a copy of the book. I only wish I was as lucky with your recommendation of Radioactive. I'll have to see if it is available through an inter-library loan.

Shelley. said...

Hmmm...I don't know. I don't have a 5th grader yet, so it's hard to know what one could handle. It's a heavy book - but so is visiting the memorial. It definitely gives perspective on life, death and humanity.

Shelley. said...

I'm excited to grab Wonderstruck and Radioactive now. How fun.