Friday, October 28, 2011

31 Days of Library Living {Day 28}: Courage To Continue


"Success is not final, failure isn't fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~ Winston Churchill 



She is always on the go. Even when she is sitting quietly, I know that beautiful mind is taking her places. She whistles when she's happy, snuggles in my lap when there is bad weather, crafts me out of supplies faster than Michael Phelps in a 200 Fly heat, writes poetry for her teachers, whips up gourmet meals in the kitchen with very little assistance, asks questions about ancient world history and what I think about her attending a local college and living at home until she graduates (for the record, I think that would be awesome). 


But up until just recently she wasn't into chapter books. Yes, my daughter doesn't like them, Sam-I-Am. Give her a trivia book or math books or science books - or her fave, poetry books - and she'll bear hug you silly. But chapter books are required reading for school, so each night we'd endure a merry-go-round of emotions that would drain me of all logic and laughter. Seriously, I felt fifty years older and ten pounds lighter (of brain cells) when we finished. She loves me to read chapter books to her - but reading on her own has been a struggle.


My advice if your child is going through something similar: keep reading to them. Keep going to the library each week and browsing the aisles for new chapter books. She settled on some Edward Eager books and has stuck with them (yippee), but it wasn't until a sweet neighbor gave her the Allie Finkle series by Meg Cabot (thank you, Morgan!) that she started reading without prodding. 


We still talk each night about how a challenge is something to go through - not give up on. That success is more about the going than the destination. In fact, what makes a story so compelling is the courage to go on and face the challenges. Wouldn't a chapter book be boring if there weren't any problems? She sees this and states quite clearly: I'm going and I'll never give up - not on reading, not on life. It's a beautiful message for my life as well.
 
What do you do when your child doesn't want to read? 


This series, 31 Days of Library Living, started here. Please join me for the month, maybe even follow me forever on this blog by email or subscribe to my posts - I would be honored.

Are you a 31 Dayer? Leave me a message, I would love to come visit you. 

For a list of all of the 31 Dayers, click here.
For the amazing girl behind all of this 31 Days magic, click here.

xoxo Michele

2 comments:

sheila @E2gather said...

Oh my 9 year old is not a reader, some learning disabilities have made it difficult for her, but we are getting there. I read to her often, and I have found that she loves magazines where she can read short snip its. National Geographic Kids is her fave.

I am LOVD said...

She is so sweet as she continues to figure out her world and how she wants to live in it.