Thursday, October 27, 2011

31 Days of Library Living {Day 27}: Borrow Or Buy



These photos were taken on October 1st, just as this 31 Days series began. John and I walked to town, the library being our first stop. We dropped off books and borrowed new ones, and then checked out the sale table. His eyes landed on the Super Smash Bros book and he silently high-fived me in delight.


Over the years our family has started a wonderful home library. Everything from the classics like Dickens to what you see above. Ninety percent have been purchased at the library.I will occasionally buy books from Amazon or at the children's Book Fair at school. But most come from our local library.



When you visit the library weekly, you know when the librarians are putting out new books for sale. Hardbacks for as low as fifty cents. Most paperback classics are five for a dollar. Not all of them are in perfect shape, but I'm not the type of person that wants perfectly-untouched-looking books on my shelves. 

We've had to buy four sets of bookshelves off craigslist through the years to house them all.  Our children have classics that will take them through college and beyond. The library provides this beauty to borrow and many to buy. It's just one additional benefit to visiting your local library.


And a great way to start your Saturday. A special thanks to The Nester for inspiring this 31 Days series. I'm so thankful to have a month-long diary of my favorite time of the year.


This series, 31 Days of Library Living, started here. Please join me for the month, maybe even follow me forever on this blog by email or subscribe to my posts - I would be honored.

Are you a 31 Dayer? Leave me a message, I would love to come visit you. 

For a list of all of the 31 Dayers, click here.
For the amazing girl behind all of this 31 Days magic, click here.

xoxo Michele

4 comments:

theelfqueen said...

Great photos and a fantastic topic. Our library has a big book store (well Friends of the Library) but we almost never pop in there. Most of my book buying this year has been for my Nook! Always loading something new! And the kids' school book fair gets a few pretty pennies from me.

leavesnbloom said...

Dear Michele I am so glad that you enjoyed seeing the photos of where CS Lewis had his inspiration for Narnia. When the kids were younger we used to visit the library weekly but now we prefer to buy mostly hardbacks from amazon market places and this week my husband was able to pick up a beautiful history book on the Tudor children for 1pence plus postage - what a bargain!

I am LOVD said...

Borrow or buy has always been a tough one. When my son was little we BOUGHT A LOT of picture books. You know, all the Dr. Seuss classics, etc., in hopes you will be gifting the collection to grandkids one day. But lately as my son has been into chapter books, buying is more few and far between, unless they are series books like 39 clues and Harry Potter.

the cul-de-sac said...

I have always *loved* library book sales. My study shelves are lined with beautiful hardcover editions of the classics, almost all purchased from library sales 20+ years ago. I read them over and over, and they are now waiting for my kids to discover.

And I have exciting news -- next weekend, my oldest is getting her very own city library card. She's so thrilled! And thanks to your blog, I am even more so!