Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Days of Library Living {Day 21}: War And Peace, Library Style

Several months ago, our oldest son asked for a popular war game for the Wii. My heart silently cried out for the good 'ol days when this precious boy would play with his NASCAR Hot Wheels for days on end. My head wanted to shout NO but my intuition told there was a better way: the library


My husband and I asked him to research the subject from the Trojans through modern day conflicts, and if he still had an interest in the Wii combat game, we'd talk. He agreed, and I figured this bought me time to either:
A) Convince Congress to pass a new law banning the sale of any war game to minors.
B) Move us to a remote fishing village in Alaska.
C) By the time he had completed the research he would be 35. Or 50.



Nick had enjoyed this bio on Frederick Douglass a few years ago and wanted to know more about his dad's favorite president, so he started with the Civil War time period. His journey began with this incredible read, Two Miserable Presidents. Two nights later, he appeared in our bedroom and announced what we all know: War is terrible.


There hasn't been any further mention of wanting a Wii war game, but our family adventure into the history of battle has just begun. We are currently reading aloud Rifles For Watie (absolute must read) and then we'll read Soldier's Heart. Nick's curiosity will tell us where to go next. 





A library loving family here in town recommended Rifles for Watie. Their son produced a book report video and granted me permission to share it with all of you. Hope it inspires you to say yes to learning with your children at the library.




Hypocrite Bonus: Just yesterday, Carl was at our regional library and found this Civil War game for a dollar. {Yes! You can buy media from the library ~ I'll be blogging on our fabulous library buys next week.} I guess this could be classified as educational. But still. My face is a teensy-weensy bit red.




We attended the NASCAR race here at Charlotte Motor Speedway last weekend, and as a sports-batty family I can testify that no other sport loves their fans or our military more than them. You can't walk two feet without standing shoulder to shoulder with a man or woman in uniform. 


Bruton Smith, owner of 8 NASCAR tracks and Sonic Automotive, hires retired military personnel throughout his companies (including much of his upper management) and the pre-race activities always find creative ways to honor our troops. And for the fans? Free parking, coolers filled with food and drink are allowed into the race; $10 seats for children. Oh, and a race that literally moves the seat beneath you. I know they get a bad rap, but it is family entertainment times infinity. Just ask this boy.



And to think, I could have just said no.



Are there subjects to which you want to say no, but the library can help you say yes to learning? 



This series, 31 Days of Library Living, started here. Please join me for the month, maybe even follow me forever on this blog by email or subscribe to my posts - I would be honored.

Are you a 31 Dayer? Leave me a message, I would love to come visit you. 

For a list of all of the 31 Dayers, click here.
For the amazing girl behind all of this 31 Days magic, click here.

xoxo Michele



5 comments:

Shelley. said...

What a brilliant way to handle the situation! So much better and more effective than no. I'm gonna remember that technique. I can't remember what grade I had to read it, but I loved Rifles for Watie.

I am LOVD said...

And yet another library request from me - thanks!!! I would LOVE to have my family go to a NASCAR race. When I worked my company sponsored Kyle Bush for the Newell/Rubbermaid car years ago. That's when I became a fan.

I have to say, not a Jimmie Johnson fan - I beleive in integrity in racing;-) What's your son think of him?

Jennie@gotmyreservations said...

Michele, I'm so glad we found each other. Every one of your posts has meaning for me. It's wonderful to find a kindred spirit.

Michele said...

Thank you, Shelly. Your post yesterday on evidence is still etched in my brain. Love learning from you!

LOVD - can we talk? That is so cool that you worked for one of Kyle's sponsors. I'm a huge Rowdy Busch fan and he almost pulled out the win Saturday night. I know, a lot of people don't like him, but he has brought so much action to this sport and if you ever get a chance to watch him race in person - go. He is on fire. This track in Charlotte is Dale Jr.'s hometown so everyone pulls for him - and the fans here have not been happy with Jimmy for awhile now. Nick is the ultimate loyal Jeff Gordon fan, so he is ok with JJ because Jeff brought him into the sport, and owns his team in a partnership with Hendrick.

Dear Jennie, I feel the same way about you!

xoxo michele

{darlene} said...

"Are there subjects to which you want to say no, but the library can help you say yes to learning? "
YOU are a GENIUS! {of course you are. If I read that many books, I would be too!}
seriously. I love this.

I never want the days of hot wheels to end.....