Sunday, October 16, 2011

31 Days of Library Living {Day 16}: Required Reading


Fall Weekends. Is there anything better?
01) A nature-themed birthday party that I can't wait to tell you about this week (it included a craft idea that was inspired by a library book).
02) A date night with my husband.
03) The NASCAR race under the lights at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Two glorious days of perfect weather, surrounded by family and friends. After church, Sunday afternoon is filled with laundry, Carolina Panther's Football, making trays of lasagna and eggplant parmigiana, and restfully reading books from the library in the back yard. Here is today's inspiration, directly from our local library: 



Those who know me have to put up with my crush on Charles Haddon Spurgeon. He is fiery, feisty and his sermons are as relevant today as when he wrote them. I love the above passage of Spurgeon's sermon referring to this verse in 2 Timothy:

"The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments."—2 Timothy 4:13


The Apostle Paul was an avid reader. Before his conversion, he was Saul of Tarsus; well educated under the tutelage of Rabbi Gamaliel. After his road-side meeting with God on the road to Damascus, he continued his love of books, but counted the parchments (the Bible) as the most important.


You can find a great variety of Spurgeon's books at your local library, click here for more information.



I am encouraged by Paul's ~ and Spurgeon's ~ love of reading, and I think if they were alive today I would run into them often at the library. But I'm reminded that my only required reading (for me and my family) is the Bible. How happy am I that it is a book?



This series, 31 Days of Library Living, started here. Please join me for the month, maybe even follow me forever on this blog by email or subscribe to my posts - I would be honored.

Are you a 31 Dayer? Leave me a message, I would love to come visit you. 

For a list of all of the 31 Dayers, click here.
For the amazing girl behind all of this 31 Days magic, click here.

xoxo Michele   

4 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

So my hubby was at the Panthers game last Sunday!

And to answer your question, no, there is nothing better than a fall weekend. Things just seem like they should be somehow right.

Kerry Rossow said...

I often wondered what this "required reading" was all about? I think I was born with a book in my hand!
Love the header pictures, btw!
Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

I never thought about Paul being a reader before! That's a great thought.

I am LOVD said...

Man, I left a comment and it didn't take. If it posts twice for some odd reason, sorry...

I'll be looking up Spurgeon at my local library. Hopefully I'll have better luck than when you tried to find Danny Dunn books at your local library.

If a new society were to be built and only one book could be taken in, the Bible would be my pick. Each passage speaks so differently to each person on an individual basis. How could any one book but the Bible be so versatile?