Friday, September 2, 2011

The Night Light ~ A Cautionary Poem

Nick's Current Library Reads
Go Figure! A totally cool book about numbers.




Nick loves to read at night.
An honorable activity that requires light.
So we bought him a lamp
that came with a clamp
and thought: Awesome solution to our plight!




Last week I awoke 
to the smell of smoke
and my son in tears
because his dolphin was seared
through and through.


This is where my poem ends with grateful, thankful news.
There was no fire.
There wasn't really any smoke, either. 
Just that nasty "burning" smell.
We are indebted to companies that use
fire resistant materials. 
I still shudder when I think about the what ifs.


Bloggy friends, mind helping me with a lamp decision?

Design Dilemma:
  • We need a lamp that won't make contact with bedding (no clip-ons).
  • Nick is on the top bunk, about 3 feet from the ceiling.
  • We are blessed with a drop ceiling ~ hanging a light is difficult.
  • Nick is reading 1 - 2 hours each night ~ good lighting is key.

Grazie for your input - this mama has run out of 
lighting ideas. And until we get this lamp
situation corrected, I have a child in my bed.
Not that I mind. 

xoxo Michele

3 comments:

theelfqueen said...

Could you get one of those stick on battery operated lights where you push the light -- there used to be infomercials -- do you have any idea what I'm talking about?

How about just a book light?

Michele said...

Thank you, Elf Queen! I went on Amazon and found quite a few book lights, and then I saw some swing wall lamps ~ duh! Like a lightbulb went on in my head.... ;)

Thank you soooo much for the inspiration!

xoxo michele

Marguerite said...

First, let me say that I LOVE your blog! I am a volunteer at my local library, and I have to say that the pleasure and joy of the library is multiplied many times over as a volunteer.

Concerning your dilemma, have you considered a fluorescent light bulb? You can get the Green/Ecofriendly bulbs with the twisty tubes. These make light differently than your normal bulb and therefore don't get hot. I use them in the lighting above my bed because I'm prone to bumping into it and don't want to get burned. Hope this helps!