Monday, August 15, 2011

The Shame of Being Rejected

My Beautifully Balanced Collections are in our local library.
A dream has been born. 
Taking its first breath of life. 

At times (even now), my passion can seem silly.
Unnecessary to all but me. 
What if no one wants to check out a collection?
What if they don't get it?
What if my idea is rejected?

Author Kathryn Stockett understands:

"We are compelled to talk about our passions... 
In the end, I received 60 rejections for The Help.
But letter number 61 was the one that accepted me.
What if I had given up at 15? Or 40? Or even 60?"

 "...I can’t tell you how to succeed. But I can tell you how not to: 
Give in to the shame of being rejected and put your manuscript—
or painting, song, voice, dance moves, [insert passion here]—
in the coffin that is your bedside drawer and close it for good. 
I guarantee you that it won’t take you anywhere..."

 You can read her entire article here.
Photo by Ben Hoffman.

Read: The Help

Kathryn's passion is as courageous as her book.


The library is full of authors that inspire us to dream
and live out our passion.
Choose one today.


What is your passion? How has it required courage to keep it alive?

xoxo Michele

5 comments:

Jolina Petersheim said...

I loved this, Michele! Rejection is only shameful if we give up; thank you for this reminder!

Notes She Wrote said...

That is such a beautiful quote. I had no idea that she initially had a hard time getting The Help published!
Thank you for sharing this, I totally needed to hear it! :)


Notes She Wrote

Michele said...

I needed to hear it too! We all struggle with (various levels of) fear of rejection, but be encouraged to keep going - your unique passion matters.

xoxo michele

Lisa Ridgely said...

Your collections are such a fantastic concept, and I'm sure they will be so appreciated at your library! Thank you for the encouraging quotes!

Michele said...

Thank you, Lisa! I am so inspired by your writing as well. Thank you for commenting - otherwise I wouldn't have found you.

xoxo michele