Wednesday, August 3, 2011

O.W. Toad

Watch: Inception
This is my tribute to Margaret Atwood. 
Author, poet, artist and photographer.
Wife, mother and daughter of an entomologist.
I am so jealous of the entomologist part!
Library advocate extraordinaire. 

I had the fortunate opportunity to see her
deliver the Joel A. Conarroe Lecture at
 Davidson College in February of 2010
with our book club. Yeah, it was awesome.



I didn't meet her, but I did have the nerve to approach Joel 
and interrogate him on his favorite reads when young. He loved
 Kim by Kipling. Yes, I do this type of thing when I meet authors.

Her wit and wisdom, seemingly endless supply
of energy and passion for numerous causes inspires me.
I can't pick a favorite book of hers, but I chose Alias Grace 
because I could not put the book down during the
day and had to put it in the mailbox at night because I
was ^afraid^ to have Grace in my house. 
Read it and you'll understand what I mean.

I chose the movie Inception because of Ellen Page. 
Also from Canada, she would be my choice to play
Grace Marks if they make a movie. Gerald Finley
is a Canadian Bass Baritone that melts my heart.
And I can see Grace walking down the hall when he sings.

Earth to Table is simply one of the best cookbooks I have
ever read. And it is from Canada. You will want this
as part of your permanent collection.


Which Atwood book is your favorite?

xoxo Michele

7 comments:

the cul-de-sac said...

Love Margaret Atwood. Still get chills when I think about The Handmaid's Tale.

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

Hi Michele, well I am so pleased that you're featuring a Canadian author and cookbook today! Margaret Atwood was on my Canadian Literature reading list in university and I would have to pick The Handmaid's Tale as my favourite Atwood book. Margaret Atwood has been in the news quite often these days in the Toronto area. She's helping to lead the crusade against the Toronto mayor's suggestion to shorten library hours in an attempt to cut the city budget.

BTW, have you ever read anything by another great female Canadian author Margaret Laurence? I loved The Stone Angel.

Michele said...

So glad there are fellow MA friends with me! I love all of her books. Yvonne, Atwood's passion for the library has inspired my blog and she has graciously retweeted my posters (over on the side bar) to her legion of followers, can you believe it?? I follow her and the news that is currently happening in Toronto. I have put Margaret Laurence on my list, thank you for recommending her!

JoJoTheModern said...

Ms. Atwood certainly inspired me, with only one book! :) She has a way of cutting to the heart. The next book of hers that I read will definitely be Alias Grace. Thanks much for the suggestion! ^.^

Michele said...

I agree - she is spot on with human nature, in almost every degree. Let me know if you enjoyed it as much as I did! xoxo michele

Beth said...

I wrote my high school "thesis" on MA's The Robber Bride. Now I'm going to dive into Alias Grace!

Michele said...

Beth, I want to discuss The Robber Bride and your thesis! Hope you enjoy Alias as much as I did. xom