Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer Map Update 1


As our summer project, 
we decided to make a map of the world.
It was inspired by the autobiography My Family and Other Animals
by Gerald Durrell. Told from his point of view when he was
 10 years of age, Gerald and his dog Roger take you on a magical 
adventure through Corfu, Greece. If you haven't read it,
pick it up from the library today. Often hilarious and
always captivating, have a dictionary handy and prepare
to be transported from your home into his family. 

"They were maps that lived, maps that one could study, frown over, 
and add to; maps, in short, that really meant something."  ~ Gerald Durrell


The children have now finished the outline of the continents 
and are getting ready for the fun to begin:
adding rivers and tributaries, migration patterns,
flora and fauna, sea life and coral reefs.

And we dream about visiting Corfu, Greece.


There is a Durrell School of Corfu.
To find out more about this amazing place visit here.

The children are learning about geography, biology,
topography, botany, potamology and more.
And they want to do this. They plead every day 
to work on the map. And it is summer! 
I can't take any of the credit, except for reading to them.
Gerald Durrell did the rest.


To see our updated map, click here.




xoxo Michele

10 comments:

Jennifer Dawn said...

What a great activity--making a map. I love your passion for books and reading. As a teacher, it is certainly a passion we both share. Thanks for stopping by my little corner or the world earlier. I'm so glad you did.

The Cul-de-Sac said...

Love it! And I love your blog and the way you seem to be raising your children. Many inspiring ideas here. Thanks.

laxsupermom said...

I love this! What a great project to do with the kids! I love how you've incorporated the map project with their summer reading. Thanks for sharing.

designdazzle.blogspot.com said...

great idea!

Lynnea said...

I love it when a great book inspires more learning!! Can I ask where you got the map hanging in the doorway? Or did you make that? I recently took our maps off our dinner table(under plastic of course)....and my 15 year old asked me to put them back because she liked figuring out where places were while she ate!! Who knew!?

Michele said...

Hi Lynnea - I tried to leave a message on your blog but it wasn't loading - so I hope you get this! :)
The map that is hanging is a $10 clearance shower curtain from Target! So cool that your daughter loves maps - and that is our goal, once the map is complete we will cover it with a thick plastic and be able to see the "world" as we are eating. I am blown away by how much knowledge our seven year old has picked up from this project. Even when you don't think they're learning (or listening), hee hee! xoxo michele

Lynnea said...

Michele...WOW!! Wish I found mine on clearance! As soon as I asked the question, that same 15 year old walks by and informs me I can get the map at Target! But it wasn't on clearance.:( I also put the maps back on the table this evening after buying new plastic. Thanks for the blog post....love the ideas!

Micha said...

I dream about Corfu since I saw the television version of "My family and other animals" as a child. It is still a great book!

Mrs.CFH2 said...

What an awesome project and a beautiful family too! Thanks for linking up at Tackle It Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

So good post i like this post and i like your all blog and i hope to visit my blog Ancient Greece Food and more like Ancient Greece Religion thanks again admin ,,,