Thursday, June 23, 2011

About Michele

   
 Welcome! I'm naturally curious about most everything, so I read. A lot. I'm a passionate advocate for the public library because it has contributed greatly to our family's way of life. I don't work for the library, but based on the time spent there, I should ~ it has always been my second home. I spend hours there each week so that our children will have a well-rounded combination of all subjects in various mediums. Quite simply, I couldn't afford to provide them with this abundance of knowledge any other way. My hope is to create a strong and vibrant intellectual home life that promotes curiosity about the world, critical thinking skills and inspires a lifelong love of learning. As C. S. Lewis said: 

"I took volume after volume from the shelves. I had always the 
same certainty of finding a book that was new to me as a 
man who walks in a field has of finding a new blade of grass."

My bloggy purpose is to share the beauty of the library, and encourage reading aloud with your children. It takes a little fortitude and trial and error at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll start re-arranging your life to make it a priority. Why? To watch their memory, vocabulary and confidence grow, discovering remote as well as neighboring parts of the world - together - is addictive. I have also found that our communication and relational skills with each other are flourishing because of the connectivity that reading aloud requires.

My husband and I just celebrated 12 years of marriage and have 3 elementary aged progeny. I am an Idaho spud but have lived in the North East, Central Minnesota and for the past four years we have  enjoyed calling North Carolina our home. I don't care much for housekeeping - would rather be doing crafts and activities with my family, or reading. Or camping in the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains tubing down the New River while our smoochy dog runs around barking at flowers and clouds, which is a fair trade-off from his incessant barking at the doorbell, TV, phone, cars, joggers, and the mailman, believe me.

I would love to hear from you! If there is a topic you'd like me to cover, questions you'd like me to try and answer or just have feedback, please feel free to reach out by email or leave a comment below. So glad you stopped by!

xoxo Michele


mctrovato@hotmail.com

4 comments:

Kerry Rossow said...

Hi, Michele! Thank you for commenting at HouseTalkN!
I am a total book-a-holic, too! My mother was a librarian, so we were raised in the stacks!
I am planning a community outing to see the movie version of The Help!
Great to "meet" you!
Kerry Rossow

Theresa Woody said...

Michele,
My children and I still read aloud together sometimes. They are 24 and 20! Some of my favorite memories are of reading: eg, one of the Red Wall books while painting a room in our house red, Winnie the Pooh books countless times, the whole Harry Potter series at night before bed, and, the grisly "Silence of the Lambs" while painting another room purple. Fun times.

Miss Eagle said...

Dear Michele,

I just wanted to share this with you. Peter Cundall is a well-known and much loved and respected Australia. You can find more about him at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cundall

I am sending you the link to a television broadcast.http://www.abc.net.au/compass/s3315715.htm

In this broadcast - which is about the deep and meaningful things of life - he speaks about libraries. His description of what library membership meant for him is wonderful and I am sure as a library lover you will enjoy it. Please watch the video - I have always loved his voice since I first heard it on radio before he ever became a television personality. But there is the transcript there as well.

Keep on loving libraries,

Blessings on you and yours,
Brigid

Liz said...

Hi Michelle,

I just stumbled across your blog and I am in awe! I too love the library, though I haven't ever learned how to utilize it to the best of our advantage.

I do have a question...with all the books you check out, how do you keep track of which ones are due? Do you have late fees all the time? lol I know I would. We have a 50 book limit per card (we have two..me and my son). I'm always afraid to check out more than 5 each.

i love that you use library books as decor in your home. I LOVE having books in the home, but the books I have haven't been read and are just collecting dust on shelves. I really need to take a look at how to Library my home.

This is now my favorite blog!