Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Heirs of the Revolution

Watch: John Adams
Listen: Bruce Springsteen Born In the USA
Cook: Apple Pie

Posting early so you'll have a chance to pick
 these up at your local library; just click on the links
and you're in the land of luxury the library ~ I'm sweet like that.
As in, when I'm not forgetful, which is rare. 
My family is wondering if they will ever eat again. I guess I have
been a teensy-weensy preoccupied with this little bloggy-blog.  


I have seen the mini-series about 4000 times and never tire 
of listening to these courageous men (and me oh my the 
women). Fall in love with Jefferson and Washington - 
total swoonfest happening in our living room let me tell you.
But the love story of John and Abigail. It will make you
rush right out at midnight banging on the library doors to 
Open!
Open! Open!
so that you can borrow all of their biographies. 
Or maybe that is just me. Don't miss the documentary
that is included of David McCullough - more swooning.
But in a good, writer-crush sort of way.


The cookbook is divine, but I am a horrible baker. Horrible.
I cry for my mommy. Or Carl's mommy. Sad things happen
when I go into the kitchen. But I try. I cry and
sing along with Bruce.


And then the book.
 A teacher here in town recommended it. I was ensnared by
the first sentence. The title comes from that chapter, 
but I'm not telling you anymore. This is a book that should be
read at night when the kids are tucked in bed (doesn't happen
here, hope it happens at your house though) and you aren't
distracted, or have obligations because it bounces around
from story to story. And you will want to stay
with the Alpha company. The mother in you will be torn.




"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it." 
                                                                         — John Adams

I will be posting some of my favorite collections 
for children tomorrow. Thank you for all the kind
feedback!! It means so much to me. Please let me know if 
there are reading topics you would like me to cover.

xoxo Michele

1 comment:

The Cul-de-Sac said...

Love your Tim O'Brien recommendation. He's in residence at the university where I teach, and I've had the privilege of hearing him speak many times. We also used his book "If I Die in a Combat Zone" as our common experience text a few years ago. I recommend it if you haven't already read it.